Receive the latest industry news delivered right to your email inbox.
We are now seeking an Estimator to join our Estimating Team on Vancouver Island:
Working alongside with Branch Management and the Senior Estimator, the Estimator is responsible for assisting with the preparation of detailed estimates for commercial, institutional and residential projects.
The Estimator is responsible for duties including:
• Establishing and maintaining effective relationships with suppliers, manufacturers, engineers and contractors in the industry; advising clients about new and effective products and services; and actively seeking out new opportunities, projects and clients and estimating and obtaining new projects.
• Preparing electrical budgets based on preliminary sketches, specifications and other related information; preparing accurate cost estimates of resources required for tendered projects; contacting and receiving quotations from suppliers and trades; and preparing spreadsheets with supplier information and quotes.
• Coordinating and preparing for pre-tender site tours; participating in project site visits as requested; analyzing possible cost savings for projects as requested by project managers.
• Setting up data for estimates in computer programs; reviewing and confirming estimate information prior to tender closing, including drawings and supplier bill of materials; analyzing disadvantages and strengths of estimates prior to submission; and prepare and evaluating closing strategies.
• Analyzing tender documents and contractual obligations; preparing and delivering or faxing quotation letters to client prior to closing time with relevant management approvals; obtaining feedback and results from client with regards to quotations; contributing to pre-plan meetings.
• Maintaining and updating databases for estimating, change order and service in relevant computer programs; maintaining and updating historical estimate database.
• Providing training and assistance for new and existing staff in estimating and change orders procedures and for estimating, change order and related software.
• Providing leadership and positive motivation for project staff and company partners by acting as a responsible and goal-oriented team player and leading by example in achieving excellence and being accountable for results and outcomes.
This position requires an individual with experience in medium to large sized electrical construction projects with an electrician’s journeyman certification and excellent current knowledge of electrical, building and municipal codes and regulations and in-depth familiarity of tender rules and processes. Proficiency in related computer programs is a requirement.
• 1 – 4 years experience as estimator for electrical construction projects or electrical technical experience
• 2 – 8 years hands-on experience with electrical construction projects
• Certification as estimator with Canadian or BC Construction Associations
• Current knowledge of electrical, building and municipal codes and regulations
• Excellent knowledge of industry products, practices and standards
• Certification as electrician’s journeyman or relevant degree or diploma
• Knowledge of engineering software and engineering skills an asset
• Experience with AUTO CAD software is an asset
• Experience with ACCUBID estimating software is an asset
• Ability to learn quickly, be flexible and adaptable
• Strong organizational abilities and demonstrated attention to detail
• Strong time management skills, specifically the ability to multi-task and prioritize
• Able to work independently and in team
• Excellent knowledge of and proficiency in required computer programs
• Excellent ability to think critically and problem solve
• Strong verbal and written communication skills
We offer generous compensation programs and performance driven incentives to reward our people.
If you believe you would be the right fit, and you are a motivated team player and want to work with a dynamic group of professionals, please send your resume in confidence to email@example.com quoting Estimator-Vancouver Island in the subject line.