Receive the latest industry news delivered right to your email inbox.
We have an opening in our National Roll Out Team for a Project Manager. This position is a temporary 1 year contract starting September 1, 2013 with potential towards full time status after contract expiry. The preferred location for this position is in our Nanaimo Office, however, as this position functions on a national level, all locations will be considered.
The Project Manager is responsible for the effective management of projects (large construction and special projects) assigned and marketing the company and its services to obtain new projects. This includes responsibility for building effective relationships with clients, suppliers and staff and ensuring the effectiveness, quality, compliance and profitability of each project. The Project Manager reports directly to the Manager, National Roll Outs.
• Working with the Canem Branches as well as partners to effectively manage work for clients on a multi-location/national scale through providing a single point of contact for end users, national clients and general contractors working on a national scale.
• Managing both service and project support to clients- effectively leveraging ALL of Canem’s offerings to build up, market and expand existing and build new client relations.
• Advising clients about new and effective products and services. Actively seeking out new opportunities, projects and clients for Canem and estimating and obtaining new projects.
• Leading pre-planning activities for assigned projects, obtaining agreement on effective project plan, ensuring approved project plan is successfully implemented on site, building positive relationships and a positive image for the company, achieving and exceeding financial profit of projects, and maximizing project cash flow through careful planning and implementation of project.
• Working closely with relevant management staff in writing of quotations and project proposals, administering of contracts, negotiating and obtaining of contracts, preparing tenders for subcontractors and suppliers, awarding subcontracts, and obtaining relevant management approvals for all estimations, proposals and contracts prior to disclosure to an outside party.
• Setting up projects in relevant software applications, and working with general contractors and consultants to ensure success on current projects and future work, scheduling manpower, equipment and material for project, ordering material to ensure material is available when necessary, deciding on which equipment and tools to use.
• Managing project, labour and materials to achieve project outcomes, building positive relationships with crew and foreman; supervising foremen and attending regular site meetings, continuously monitoring projects and controlling costs to maximize project profitability, taking corrective action when necessary and solving problems to achieve or exceed project targets.
• Ensuring quality of workmanship is to company standards, enforce company’s safety policy and identify areas for improvement, providing effective training for foremen and ensuring correct training levels for other staff including apprentices and new employees, and ensuring that all electrical codes, safety codes and proper work practices are followed.
• Working closely with relevant management staff in documentation of project, including the approval of shop drawings, ensuring timely and effective billings, estimating, reviewing, pricing and submitting of all change orders, providing accurate forecasting and project reporting, reporting project progress on a monthly basis and effectively closing out of projects.
• Providing leadership and positive motivation for project staff and company partners by acting as a responsible and goal-oriented team player and leading by example in achieving excellence and being accountable for results and outcomes.
• 5-10 years electrical foreman, communications or estimating experience or
• 3-5 years experience as a Project Manager for an electrical contractor
• Certification as electrician’s journeyman or relevant degree or diploma
• Current knowledge of electrical, building and municipal codes and regulations
• Knowledge and experience in data, communications programs/systems and industry is an asset.
• Excellent knowledge of industry products, practices and standards
• Outstanding sales, marketing and networking skills
• Ability to learn quickly, be flexible and adaptable
• Strong organizational abilities and demonstrated attention to detail
• Strong verbal and written communication skills
• Strong time management skills, specifically the ability to multi-task and prioritize
• Able to work independently and in team
• Excellent knowledge of and proficiency in required computer programs
• Knowledge of engineering software and engineering skills an asset
• Knowledge of the data/communication industry an asset
• PMP certification considered an asset
We offer generous compensation programs and performance driven incentives to reward our people.
If you believe you would be the right fit, and you are a motivated team player and want to work with a dynamic group of professionals, please send your resume in confidence to email@example.com quoting "Project Manager-National Roll Out" in the subject line.